This 18hr course teaches the enabling science of biological nutrient removal, and the tools and techniques required to successfully analyse, design and optimise wastewater treatment plants.
The course is presented by two of Australia’s leading process designers for municipal and industrial wastewater treatment, and the course is structured around real-life challenges and solutions encountered in some of Australia’s largest and most demanding wastewater projects. This hands-on course focuses on practical exercises and case studies to develop skills that can be applied immediately in the workplace.
Biological Treatment Fundamentals
- Basic bioenergetics – energy, growth and decay
- Wastewater characteristics – how and why wastewater is classified
- Sludge age and its influence on design and performance
- Fundamentals of Nitrogen and Excess Biological Phosphorus Removal
- Secondary treatment process configurations – fitting to the plant’s wastewater, site, skills and situation
Secondary Treatment Process Design
- Anaerobic & “roughing” technologies for carbon removal
- Secondary treatment reactor design – mass fractions and recycles
- Aeration Systems – Process Design and Control
- Clarification, settleability and Scum Management
- Demystifying process models for real-world use – managing risks and avoiding pitfalls.
Practical design considerations – Liquid Stream
- Inlet works – process design and specification
- Tertiary Treatment – Filtration and Disinfection Fundamentals
- Review of recent BNR plant designs, including real performance data, to understand impacts of design decisions and details
- Design exercise and case studies: Design an actual BNR plant based on specific attributes and requirements, and review against real-world outcomes
- Aeration systems – select, size and specify
- Secondary clarifiers – sizing, configuration and optimisation
- Dissolved oxygen control; settleability and scum management
- Site Visit
Practical design considerations – Integrating the Liquid and Solids Streams
- Industrial wastewater design issues
- Primary treatment – manage the carboning your carbon
- Biosolids Stabilisation and Reuse
- Odour considerations
- Site Visit
Current and future trends
- Membrane Bioreactors: Development of MBRs; Compare and contrast commercially available MBRs
- From Treatment Works to Factory: BNR and production of recycled water, biosolids and energy; Operating costs and considerations; Carbon accounting for BNR
- Innovations in nutrient removal – Anaerobic ammonia removal & variants, fixed films, granular sludge
- Other emerging trends for the next 10 years
What do you get?
- Access to a leading BNR process expert
- Course notes and USB
- BNR spreadsheet design tools
- Workshop sessions based on real case study material
- BNR analysis and design skills to take back to your workplace
- 18 CPD hours
Who should attend?
Engineers, technicians and operators with an interest in the design and operation of municipal and industrial wastewater treatment plants, as well as people with related support functions.