David Cook is a Senior Scientist and manages the water science team at SA Water. The Water Science team is laboratory based and completes research and investigations into drinking water treatment processes and distribution system management for both SA Water and the drinking water community. Through the participation in and management of laboratory and pilot scale projects over 20 years, David has gained experience in the following areas:
- Natural organic matter removal
- Optimisation of disinfection strategies (chlorination, chloramination and ozonation)
- Impact of source water quality on water treatment plant process performance and distribution system water quality management
- Removal of algal metabolites with powdered activated carbon
- Membrane process, particularly nanofiltration and reverse osmosis
David regularly provides advice to SA Water and other water utilities regarding drinking water treatment and has presented outcomes of research at national and international conferences and in scientific journals.