The whole landscape of industrial wastewater treatment in Australia has been rapidly changing over the last few years. Changes to trade waste legislation and pricing, water restrictions, and changing business drivers have resulted in the widespread adoption of advanced water and wastewater treatment technologies for enhanced on-site treatment and water reuse.
In this course, you will be introduced to the state-of-the-art in industrial wastewater treatment and reuse in Australia, and you will learn how to specify appropriate technologies for treatment and reuse, and how to trouble-shoot industrial wastewater treatment problems.
This is a practical course and uses many case studies and workshop sessions. It will not only help you develop the most cost effective solution for your application, but will give you knowledge in negotiating with environmental authorities and councils.
DAY 1 CHARACTERISING THE PROBLEM
- Wastewater characteristics – COD; BOD; Solids fractions; N&P; pH; specific pollutants
- Characteristics of specific industrial wastewaters
- How difficult is my wastewater to treat ?
- Trade waste trends and practices across Australia
- Impact of trade waste on council operations
- Preliminary treatment
- Workshop 1: Trade waste costing and evaluation of options
DAY 2 CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL TREATMENT
- Wastewater chemistry – pH; alkalinity; solubility; acids and bases
- Using aquatic chemistry to address specific wastewater problems
- Aggregation, flocculation and neutralisation
- Advanced primary treatment (electrocoagulation, hydrocyclones)
- Plant visit 1
DAY 3 BIOLOGICAL TREATMENT
- Biological treatment mechanisms
- Aerobic vs anaerobic ?
- Ponds, activated sludge, SBR
- Membrane Bioreactors
- High rate aerobic (MBBR) and high rate anaerobic processes (UASB, IC)
- Sludge production and management
- State-of-the-art biological wastewater treatment systems
- Workshop 2: Designing biological wastewater treatment processes for an industrial effluent
DAY 4 BIOLOGICAL NUTRIENT REMOVAL FOR INDUSTRIAL WASTEWATERS
- Principles of biological nitrogen and phosphorus removal
- Wastewater characteristics and BNR
- BNR process configurations
- Achieving BNR for industrial wastewaters
- Managing by-products
- Workshop 3: BNR process synthesis
- Plant visit 2
DAY 5 TERTIARY TREATMENT AND INDUSTRIAL WATER REUSE
- Overview of tertiary treatment technologies for industrial wastewaters
- Advanced oxidation processes
- Membrane processes (MF, RO)
- Industrial water reuse – specifying technologies to achieve desired water quality for on-site reuse
- Managing by-products and by-product streams (e.g. RO concentrate)
- State-of-the-art water reuse technology and practice in Australia
- Case studies of some of Australia’s benchmark industrial water reuse facilities
- Workshop 4: Designing water reuse processes for specific industrial wastewater streams
What do you get?
- Access to world leading practitioners in industrial wastewater treatment
- An excellent grounding in a broad range of issues which underpin industrial wastewater treatment
- Course notes and USB
- Several real life case study exercises
- Understanding of best practice in industrial wastewater treatment in Australia
- Core skills and tools to take back to your workplace, which will enable you to analyse and trouble-shoot your industrial wastewater problems
- Two half-day plant visits
Who should attend?
Engineers, scientists, and managers responsible for managing liquid effluents, and who require an excellent overview of the state-of-the art in industrial wastewater treatment technology and practice.