The aim of this 3 day course is to teach the key enabling scientific and process engineering fundamentals which underpin regional wastewater treatment processes. These are taught via real wastewater treatment problems and case studies.
- Introduction to Regional wastewater treatment – Defining regional treatment in the Australian context, distribution and typical loads, Snapshot of regional treatment lagoon systems within Queensland, a typical lagoon example.
- Regulatory requirements – summary of regulation frameworks focused on regional treatment facilities, fate of water related regulations (receiving environments and reuse), Introduction to MEDLI modelling.
- Regional treatment technologies – Waste stabilisation ponds, activated sludge trickling filters, membrane bioreactors, anerobic treatments, chemical/mechanical treatment, combines systems.
- Practical workshop – practical example identifying scope of treatment required, scenario analysis and technology selection.
- Waste stabilisation ponds and similar processes – biology present of the pond system, types and sequencing of ponds used in WSP systems, management of WSP systems.
- Engineered system and emerging biological technologies – emerging technologies suited to regional water treatment, including HRAPs, Microvi, MBR and SPR technologies.
- Tertiary treatment and recycling (mainly agriculture) – context and requirement for tertiary treatment, Technologies to achieve tertiary treatment targets.
- Workshop: Application of technologies – worked example showing preliminary design principles for several regional technologies considering Capex, Opex and management of investigated treatment technologies.
- Contamination monitoring and biosolids management – sludge accumulation and management in regional treatment systems, including monitoring and removal, management of contaminants in sludge and treated effluent, introduction to emerging contaminants.
- Industry experience & operational management – Case studies form industry focusing on management of problems typically experienced in regional treatment.
- Wrap up workshop – Review of course content and couple of big picture examples.
What do you get?
- Access to a world leading training resource
- Access to world leading practitioners
- Course notes and USB
- Detailed workshop problem sessions based on real case study material
- Core engineering skills and tools to take back to your workplace, which will enable you to analyse and trouble-shoot your wastewater problems
- Real plant data and exercises
Who should attend?
Engineers, scientists and managers who require an excellent introduction to regional wastewater treatment.