The aim of this 5 day course is to teach the key enabling scientific and process engineering fundamentals which underpin wastewater treatment processes. These are taught via real wastewater treatment problems and case studies.
This is the most popular wastewater fundamentals course offered in Australia. Now featuring site visits, real case study data and exercises, and state-of-the-art multi-media teaching resources.
- Wastewater characterisation and sampling
- Solids characterisation
- N & P fractions
- Characteristics of real municipal and industrial wastewater streams
- Primary treatment – physical treatment technologies
- Grit removal
- Primary sedimentation
- Preliminary treatment and data audits
- Workshop problem 1: Sampling, characterisation and primary treatment design for an industrial trade waste stream
- Introduction to Secondary Treatment
- What are the major differences between aerobic and anaerobic processes ?
- Biological treatment technologies
- Treatment ponds
- Biofilm processes (trickling filters; RBC)
- High rate anaerobic (UASB) and high rate aerobic processes (MBBR)
- Plant Visit 1
- Chemical treatment and aquatic chemistry
- What is pH and why is it so important ?
- Acids and bases in wastewater systems
- Critical equilibrium reactions in wastewater systems
- What is alkalinity and why is it so important ?
- The Activated Sludge process:
- How does the activated sludge process work ?
- What is sludge age, and why is it important ?
- Calculating sludge production and aeration requirements
- Sludge settling
- Activated sludge process variations – SBR, MBR
- Workshop problem 2 – Secondary treatment design exercise
- Tertiary treatment
- Ion exchange
- MF and RO membranes
- Biosolids management
- Plant Visit 2
- Water Reuse – municipal and industrial case studies
- Biological Nutrient Removal
- Principles of biological nitrogen and phosphorus removal
- Wastewater characteristics for BNR
- BNR process configurations
- What’s new in BNR ?
- Workshop Problem 3
What do you get?
- Access to a world leading training resource
- Access to world leading practitioners
- Course notes and USB
- Three detailed workshop problem sessions based on real case study material
- Core engineering skills and tools to take back to your workplace, which will enable you to analyse and trouble-shoot your wastewater problems
- Real plant data and exercises
- 27 CPD hours
Who should attend?
Engineers, scientists and managers who require an excellent introduction to the principles of wastewater treatment.